Peter Out

Photograph by Kyle Behrend , National Geographic Your Shot

Rescued sheep Peter relaxes in the afternoon sun at Edgar s Mission Farm Sanctuary Australia. "I'm very lucky to work at this sanctuary, which is home to over 300 rescued farm animals," says Your Shot contributor Kyle Behrend .

"I've recently been inspired by backlit images and had to try it for myself, so I waited for the sun to start setting and ran down to the sheep in the back paddock to try to capture this moment. When I arrived there were thousands of insects flying around in the sky, and I worried they were going to ruin the shot, but after a quick test I was amazed at how they caught the light and created these beautiful pockets of light throughout the photo. I squatted down and positioned myself slightly off from the sun and waited until the curious Peter Sheep wandered over to take a look. And as a result I was able to capture this beautiful image."

This photo was submitted to Your Shot . Check out the new and improved website, where you can share photos, take part in assignments, lend your voice to stories, and connect with fellow photographers from around the globe.