Soldiering Through

Photograph by Joey Jdm , National Geographic Your Shot

Soldiers of the U.S. Army s Fourth Stryker Brigade Combat Team return to their home duty station at Joint Base Lewis-McChord in Washington State after a nine-month tour in Afghanistan.

Your Shot contributor Joey Jdm , a member of the unit, had always wanted to take a photo from this angle inside a C-17 transport plane. When I finally got the chance, I asked one of the crew if I could take some photos, he writes. I wasn t a photographer for the unit I just had my camera at the time and couldn t resist capturing the moment of a lifetime.

Jdm s picture recently appeared in Your Shot's Daily Dozen .

This photo was submitted to Your Shot . Check out the new and improved website, where you can share photos, take part in assignments, lend your voice to stories, and connect with fellow photographers from around the globe.