Rains in Africa

Photograph by Keith Willette , National Geographic Your Shot

The clouds initially caught my eye, writes Your Shot member Keith Willette . This rumbling storm was coming in and I was hoping to catch some lightning bolts. Then I noticed the giraffe.

Willette had been photographing giraffes and elephants in Kenya s Masai Mara and was about to return to camp because of the storm. I asked to stay just a little longer because the smell of the storm and the peaceful quietness were something I wanted to enjoy just a bit more, he writes. Luckily, clouds broke through and illuminated the giraffe.

Willette s picture recently appeared in Your Shot s Daily Dozen .

This photo was submitted to Your Shot . Check out the new and improved website, where you can share photos, take part in assignments, lend your voice to stories, and connect with fellow photographers from around the globe.