Polished Porcelain

Photograph by Agorastos Papatsanis , National Geographic Your Shot

I am a big fan of mushrooms, writes Your Shot member Agorastos Papatsanis . He encountered these specimens on Mount Olympus. On one of my autumn excursions in the beech forest, I found this amazing porcelain fungus (Oudemansiella mucida). I was drawn to their cyclic hats with the radial paths of the gills, the amazing porcelain texture, and the combination of rain and sun. I used the available bright sunlight as a backlight and enhanced it with an off-camera flash to create this atmosphere.

Papatsanis's picture recently appeared in the Your Shot assignment Macro .

This photo was submitted to Your Shot . Check out the new and improved website, where you can share photos, take part in assignments, lend your voice to stories, and connect with fellow photographers from around the globe.