Lightning, Iran

Photograph by AmirAli Sharifi , My Shot

After three years I went to visit my family in Iran . We traveled to the city of Mahmood Abad in the north of Iran and had the most amazing time together. One night as I was walking on the shore of the Caspian Sea with my sister, I saw distant lightning. I ran to the hotel, grabbed my camera and tripod, and came back. I took many long exposures, but it was only in the second shot that I captured the biggest, most beautiful, and the last lightning of that night.

(This photo and caption were submitted to My Shot.)

What Makes This a Photo of the Day? Extreme weather pictures are popular with viewers, so I m always happy to find one that s well executed and the colors are gorgeous. Alexa Keefe, Photo of the Day editor

Get tips on photographing weather » See pictures of a storm chaser in action » See pictures of the Middle East shot by our community »