The Past in the Present

Photograph by Anastasiia Shikina , National Geographic Your Shot

"One day my friends and I went on a trip to the Ivangorod fortress, which is located on the border with Estonia, says Your Shot contributor Anastasiia Shikina .

"I was walking [some] distance from the fortress, and these empty churches drew my attention. The general impression from this place is unforgettable traces of past centuries in the present.

"From time to time I use materials [I find] nearby, such as paper or glass, to get more interesting pictures. In this case, I [had] found a piece of broken bottle. It was a rainy day, so there were a lot of raindrops on the glass. I held the glass close to my camera lens and got this shot.

This photo was submitted to Your Shot . Check out the new and improved website, where you can share photos, take part in assignments, lend your voice to stories, and connect with fellow photographers from around the globe.