Floating Season

Photograph by Nhiem Hoang , National Geographic Your Shot

During the floating season on the Mekong Delta, wild water lilies grow in the rice fields now covered by water, writes Your Shot member Nhiem Hoang . They become a traditional food, processed into special dishes such as salad and sour soup with fish. Hoang travels to the region each year to photograph what many consider its most beautiful season. I saw this situation happening from the road while riding my motorbike alongside the Vinh Te Canal. I was lucky that day because it had just stopped raining and the woman and her boat appeared in the right place. First I used a telephoto lens but felt dissatisfied, so I tried to cross a muddy yard to fill the action using my superwide 16mm, with different shooting angles from high to low. Finally, I got the shot I expected."

Hoang s picture recently appeared in Your Shot s Daily Dozen .

This photo was submitted to Your Shot . Check out the new and improved website, where you can share photos, take part in assignments, lend your voice to stories, and connect with fellow photographers from around the globe.