Falling Water

Photograph by Peter Lik

"The shafts of light in [this] canyon [were] one of the most amazing things I ve ever seen," says Peter Lik, who submitted this photo to the National Geographic Traveler Photo Contest. "It was a surreal feeling being surrounded by the towering cliffs. The only way I could capture this special moment of weeping walls was after an incredibly torrential rain. I knew I had to get to a shallow portion of the river to unfold my tripod. I was drenched from head to toe by the falling water. Mist and rain covered the camera, but I fired a few shots. As I stood in awe of the scene, the sun broke through for a few seconds and cast God s rays into the side-lit waterfall."

This photo and caption were submitted to the 2014 National Geographic Traveler Photo Contest.

Download wallpapers » See all entries »