Giant Anteater, Brazil

Photograph by Gerardo Ceballos , Your Shot

I took this shot of a giant anteater in the Fazenda Barranco Alto, a 30,000-acre cattle ranch and wildlife preserve in the Pantanal of the Brazilian state of Mato Grosso do Sul. I had been looking for animals all day long, driving and walking through grasslands and forest patches that surround the endless lakes dotting the landscape of this region. During the day I had seen other giant anteaters, a giant otter, white-lipped peccaries, and many other interesting mammals. As the sun was setting, I saw a dark shadow on the shore of one of the lakes. I took my camera and walked slowly toward that moving shadow. With great surprise I found out that it was a giant anteater. I took the photo with a flash against the fading daylight. It was a memorable moment that was caught in my photo. —Gerardo Ceballos

This photo and caption were submitted to Your Shot . Check out the new and improved website, where you can share and connect with fellow photographers from around the globe.

Get tips on using flash » Browse pictures of animals »