Over the Delta

Photograph by Hans Strand , National Geographic Your Shot

"I was shooting for my upcoming book on Iceland and hired a pilot to fly me over the highlands," writes Your Shot contributor Hans Strand . "In the far distance I saw this inspiring river delta over Hv tarvatn near Langj kull glacier and directed the pilot to make a few laps over it. We flew three 360-degree laps at about a 400-meter [1,300-foot] altitude right over the delta, and I concentrated on getting a good frame. The wind coming from Langj kull was very strong, which made the airplane very turbulent, and after the three laps I had to give up and fly back to Reykjav k due to airsickness. Luckily, I got what I wanted."

This photo recently appeared in the Your Shot assignment Nature in Black and White .

This photo was submitted to Your Shot . Check out the new and improved website, where you can share photos, take part in assignments, lend your voice to stories, and connect with fellow photographers from around the globe.