Sunset at Xingping

Photograph by James Bian , National Geographic Your Shot

The sun sets over the mountaintops in Xingping, China, in this photo by Your Shot member James Bian .

"Guilin and the Li River are famous for their beautiful landscape," he writes. "Visiting this area [has been] my dream. Before the trip, I selected a couple of locations to photograph sunrise and sunset, and Laozhai mountain was one of them. On a clear afternoon, I hiked to the peak an hour before sunset on a trail built and maintained by a Japanese gentleman (which saves a lot of energy for photographers). The view was overwhelming, with the Li River making a 180-degree turn right under my feet. I spent most of my time focusing on a wide-angle view until I realized that leaving the river out and just zooming in on the peaks and sun was a much better composition."

Bian's picture recently appeared in the Your Shot Daily Dozen .

This photo was submitted to Your Shot . Check out the new and improved website, where you can share photos, take part in assignments, lend your voice to stories, and connect with fellow photographers from around the globe.