Flashy Feathers

Photograph by Ivan Lesica , National Geographic Your Shot

"One of my favorite places to photograph exotic birds is in New York's zoo in Central Park," says Your Shot community member Ivan Lesica , who took this photo. "On a high branch in a bright spot with a deep shadow behind it, I noticed a beautiful [Nicobar] pigeon, one of my favorite birds in the zoo. I knew that the bird's glorious colors would 'explode' if the bird would slightly move its wings. Waiting for the right moment was the name of the game. I did not have to wait long. The bird decided to stretch its wings, and I was fortunate enough to be there to capture it."

Lesica's picture recently appeared in Your Shot's Daily Dozen .

This photo was submitted to Your Shot . Check out the new and improved website, where you can share photos, take part in assignments, lend your voice to stories, and connect with fellow photographers from around the globe.